View Single Post
Old 01-13-2006, 07:26 AM   #4
sylvan
YT 2000 Club Member

Nice practical question...
I set up the whelping area in my bedroom (I don't have a spare bedroom, or spare space of any kind for that matter) about 2weeks before due date and mom's can sleep wherever they darn well please. My oldest girl does not like being separated from the rest of the crew and gets quite agitated if I try to force her away, so for her I set up in a corner on the opposite end of the living room from the ex-pen/crate area and drape a fitted sheet over the ex-pen/whelping box. I do leave the pen door open so she can come and go as she pleases from the area, unless I need to leave the house for an errand, then she gets locked in her area with the wee ones. I haven't had any grumpy issues yet, but know it's always a possibility, so keep a close watch on interactions. You will hear an occasional low growl when a bouncy teen york ventures too close to 'her' area, but the message is always sufficient to keep them at a distance she is comfortable with.
Sounds goofy but I swear I have seen my girls 'asking' for babysitting when they need to do an out. First you'll hear mom moving to get out of the whelping box...her 'pal' will pop off the sofa cushion and stretch and then head towards the pen. Mom and pal will sniff noses and then both go look in the whelping box (counting? who knows) Mom looks at Pal, Pal sits down next to box and Mom trots to back door and begins whining to go out. I swear I can almost hear them chatting..."Can I get you anything while I'm out dear?...No honey, I'm fine, just enjoy your break.."
Most of my girls don't seem to appreciate the "quiet" of my bedroom and they get moved back down to HQ when they show any signs of agitation. I think they are just a bunch of gossipy buggers and they're afraid they're going to miss something whilst up in the ivory tower. Each girl has her own 'thing'. Ele had to be confined in her pen with the pups for the first week because she kept moving them around in my bedroom(under furniture, into closets etc). She didn't settle until I brought her downstairs. Ana cannot abide squeaky toys when she has pups and has to collect any she hears and keep them in the whelping box...we refer to her as the 'blonde' of the bunch. Anything that squeaks has to be a puppy, right?
Important to note, so I'm repeating, free reign is only allowed while I am here monitoring (which is most always when there are new pups here). Whenever I can't be watching...separations are complete JUST IN CASE.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!