View Single Post
Old 01-13-2006, 04:45 AM   #1
wnalegria
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Seperation from others for female before and after whelping

Well this is a fact not theory question. I was getting tired of what is my bottome line? Do I love my housepets more then my breeders? Why risk my dog's life? So here is some meat and potatoes.

I am interested in knowing how other breeders handle this situation. Your female is prgnant. How long before she whelps do you give her a nice quiet enviroment in which to get ready for whelping. I am slo interested in if you keep her away from the rest of the dogs/cats in your home after whelping and how long.

Thought that this might give some valuable information to those wanting to breed and something to think about.

I isolate my pregnant gals about three weeks before they are due from the rest of the gang. I have the box ready and let her get used to the area. My spare bedroom- I also sleep in that room with her.

My theory- I want mom to calm down and become used to her surroundings.
This is also when she starts to pop out and is becoming more uncomfortable and grouchy. I do not want her to get into any type of of spat over a bone due to hormones or anything remotely silly. I allow my pregnant gals exercise and play time but not with the rest of the gang. The gals are kept together in a harem of expectant mom's. Each gal has her own box and a playpen around her area. None are touching. Blankets/towels are placed around to give them privacy. The real cranking one I place in my closet with the door
open. Same set up with the playpen. Thank goodness I only have one who is that cranky when she has babies. I have plastic that I place on the floor of the playpen (I don't have wire bottoms) and use pee pads on top of the plastic. The gals do not get to rejoin the other members of the gang until the babies are three weeks old. I do not allow the other dogs into the spare bedroom with the moms and babies.
wnalegria is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!