View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #12
Ringo1
Ringo (1) and Lucy too!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehahaha View Post
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions.
I will find him a new vet, maybe there is one that specializes in small dogs, or even better in yorkies. The new vet will be the 4th one...
Although money is not the only concern (seems like some of you think that from my original post) it is certainly a factor and i'm sure it is for most people. And I do not think I'm a bad person for thinking about the costs when planning what is best for all my loved ones. And just because I'm not as well-off as someone who doesn't need to worry about pet bills that much, doesn't mean I can't have a chance to raise a cute dog like yorkies. I did my research, budgeted for months, and made a big family decision to purchase Linker. We didn't plan to purchase an unhealthy dog... We didn't plan to worry this often and be consumed at the thought of what will happen to Linker...
That being said, my reality is that I do have to consider the rescue option if the bills keep building like the way it is now... But I will ensure to exhaust all my options before I do... Until then, I plan to ask you all for your experiences, thoughts, and wisdom. Please help me. Yes, it is a living thing we are talking about, and as far as I'm concerned, he is a part of my family.
Thanks again, especially to gidget529 for your empathetic message. Thank you.

Ed
Liver shunt testing is not all that expensive initially. They might do a blood test to check liver enzymes and secondly do a Bile Acids test - which is not terribly expensive either.

That will give you clue as to whether liver is an issue - IF the numbers are abnormal, THEN you could be looking at further testing and further expense.

But the initial testing should not be that expensive and should be able to tell you if the liver is where you should be looking. It sounds very possible from your descriptions.

Lucy has mild liver issues that were discovered with a BAT (and after exhibiting some symptoms.

With her type of liver issues - surgery was not recommended and we are able to maintain her with some diet restrictions. Limit the amount of protein and watch the type is all we do right now.

Please keep us posted.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!