View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006, 09:55 PM   #9
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

Genetically - all things being equal - puppies are most apt to resemble their parents. These will be strongest genes that a puppy inherits. But, we have to remember that a puppy will also inherit some genes that go back several generations.

No one can guarantee the size a yorkie pup will become. There are, however, many clues that help us get we want. First and foremost - look at the dog's parents - secondly learn about their grandparents or further back, if possible.

Also experienced breeders (not me) can tell some things about a puppy when it is first born - and, they can tell more about a pup when it is a few months old. Most puppies that are very small and stay small their first few months will probably not grow up to be a large Yorkies.

My Yorkie's mom weighs 12 solid pounds. His father weighs 4 pounds (4 1/2 pounds on a good day). These two dogs have had several litters, and most of their pups have become about 6 pounds - full grown. But a few have been smaller and a few have been larger. Just what we'd expect - right!

However, after all is said and done --- I think the best that most of us can do is pick out a little puppy, and hopefully, see its parents. This along with being able to talk to the breeder should give us a fairly good idea of what the little pup will end up being - as far as size, color, etc. go.

You always take some chances when you have a child (or even adopt a child) or get a new little puppy. But don't we love them anyway!

Carol Jean
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!