Thread: Eye ulcer
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalina82 View Post
Meds sound right. I see no problem with them. If that's what the vet prescribed then I'd stick to it. Just make sure you are waiting 5-10 minutes in between each medication otherwise you could just be flushing one out with the other.

THIRD EYELID??? OMG she can develop another eye lid from medication???? hahahaha, j/k. don't mean to freak you out. A lot of animals have third eye lids. Most people don't know about them because they rarely see them. The third eyelid is like a protective shield and "blinks" horizontally instead of vertically. check it out: Nictitating membrane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Its easiest to see them on sleepy kitties cats facts: why do cats have a third eyelid?

The reason the hydroxyzine label mentions the third eyelid is because anti-histamines can cause drowsiness and drowsiness causes "sleepy eyes". so the third eyelid might appear because the eye muscles are too tired to keep it open. dogs and cats have less muscle control over the third eyelid muscles then say a manatee who uses the third eyelid to protect its eyes underwater, or the peregrin falcon who uses the third eyelid to protect its eyes while doing a high speed air dive.

Oh, also, if you suspect food allergies and are going to keep her on the Z/D then make sure that is the ONLY food to enter her body. No treats or people food, or chews/bones/edible items of any kind. She needs to be strictly on the Z/D for 3 months to ensure accurate results. You may see improvements before 3 months but still stick with the strict diet.

As for the eye meds, I believe they are all in order. My vet uses a concoction for eye ulcers that has pretty much the same meds in it.

Good luck .. hope her eye heals well and quickly!
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!