View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #13
Teresa Ford
Therapy Yorkies Work
Donating Member

Sorry you are still having problems. Retraining may be your best option. Because I can not see and hear what your dog is doing. I am thinking from what you said she thinks she is the pack leader. She wants to do things on her terms and if you don't let her, she corrects you with growling and bites.
Read and start practicing Nothing In Life Is Free Nothing in Life is Free
When you are home keep her on a leash until this problem is resolved. You can let her drag the leash or hook the leash to you. By hooking her to you, she has to go where you go, period. She will have to follow a leader. Just say your cue words, Let's Go when you start walking and go. She may protest, bite the leash, lay down etc.. ignore that, just keep walking. Of course you know Yorkies should never have a leash hooked to their collar, only a harness. Roxie needs to relearn who makes the decisions for her pack (family). That is not her job. But yours. You know what is best for her to eat, when she needs her nails trimmed, a visit to the vet, where to potty, when play time is over, which medications are the right one and everything else too. Roxie is like a forever two year old. If she is allowed to be the leader everyone will be unhappy. She needs to see you as the PLP (Protector, Leader, Provider). Do not ask her if she has to go out. Just walk her to the door and go out side. Keep her on the leash. I hope she is crate trained, because she should not have the run of the house right now, she being retrained. Freedom has to be earned. She should not be sleeping on your bed right now either. Sleeping on your bed is a huge privilege, not a given. Is she agressive with toys, food, being disturbed ? Does she move out of your way, or do you have to step around her ?
I hope this advice helps. It is not the same as an in home visit.If things don't start to improve you may need a trainer/behaviorist to work with you. Let me know how it goes.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!