View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
TeddyGrahams
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default I feel terrible...

Around midnight Teddy hopped into his crate and stretched out to sleep. He's really learning to associate that he only has to go in there at night and it's cozy so he falls asleep fast. Well hubby and I fell asleep about an hour later (we watch a tv show in bed every night before we sleep). In general we go to bed around midnight and wake up at 9AM.

I wake up almost every hour to pee. It kind of plays in my favor with Teddy because I'm already awake in case he needs to go potty, the past few days have been kind of varying for when I take him out. Thursday he woke up at 1AM,3AM, 6AM, (he cried each time) Friday he woke up at 4AM and 7AM (once again he was crying to get out). Saturday I woke up at 4AM (he was sleeping but I figured he must need to go at this point), Sunday I woke up at 6AM (he didn't want to get out of the crate but once his feet were in the grass he pottied).

Fast forward back to last night, he went to bed around midnight. It was SO sweet to see him just climb in and cuddle his toy. Because hubby and I stayed up later I was more tired than usual and I slept through the night. Only got up about an hour after we fell asleep. I woke up at 7:45AM...

Which means Teddy was in that crate for ENTIRELY too long. I felt sooo bad, I turned on the light and he groggily peered at me like "ehhhh it's bright in here" I took him out and without throwing on my robe or shoes I took him to potty. He pee'd and poo'd and then hopped around the grass. I gave him his treat and we walked a little bit until I saw my neighbors and then embarassed for being in my PJs we went inside. Well I felt around his crate (expecting pee) and it was dry. I even took the mat out and smelled it and it didn't smell like pee. Teddy ate his breakfast and then went BACK into his crate for some more Z's.

I would like to add that I would NEVER expect a 4month old pup to hold it that long, he didn't cry for me to take him out and i'm a light sleeper. It was a fluke, but like this is the 3rd night he didn't wake me. Unfortunately I had overslept, but how do I gauge when he needs to go if he doesn't tell me? Should I just set an alarm? If so what time would be good? I feel bad for making him wait that long but he wasn't even awake the past few times I woke up to take him out. Should I wait until he's ready on his terms? I'd like for him to tell me but Im kind of confused. Any help?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!