View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #15
Bitsy
Ultimate Banner!
Donating Member

Honestly, I think the regular vet will just feel the open spot and confirm that it is an open fontanel. You will probably need a referral to a neurological vet. I would go ahead and get the referral regardless if your vet recommends it or not. A referral will at least give you a name and number of someone to go see if other symptoms arise or if things get worse.

I wish I could tell you more, but I only have experience with my situation, which was tragic. So, on one hand I want you to get your pup to the neurologist ASAP and on the other hand I don't want to worry you too much incase it is not causing a problem.

Between the two choices, I'd rather you erred on the side of caution. If I were you, I would take him to a neurologist right away. Once damage is done to the brain, it is not reversible. My puppy could hear when he was born...the breeder was sure of that based on how he responded to sounds. First his hearing went, then the other losses as well. I ended up taking him to the ER vet because of how lethargic he was and because he vomited. I just knew things weren't right. By then, too much damage had been caused from the hydrocephalus. I don't know if there would have been a different outcome of he had been diagnosed sooner. I only had him two weeks.

Feel free ask any questions. PLEASE keep us updated about him as we will worry for him until we hear back from you. We will keep praying for him as well.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!