View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
Bitsy
Ultimate Banner!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuanz View Post
Thank you all for replying... Is this a serious condition? Will it close when he's older? I am worried sick... =C I'll definately bring him to the vet first thing tmr.. because i dun have a car and i cant go anywhere as my dh was at work... I'll call and ask the vet first. He seemed to have no problems with seeing and hearing. I guess smelling as well. How to know if he has problems with sense of smell? He is as active as usual with no problems and nth that i know of except for not wanting to eat much... Isit normal for a pup to walk and run sideways as in not in a vertical line? I have a friend who had a yorkie that is 2 years old now, she told me that her yorkie did that when she was young. so im not that concern then but now i am..
Open fontanel became a problem for my pup because he had hydrocephalus (water on the brain.) The hydrocephalus is what caused the neurological problems. First he couldn't hear...then we suspected he couldn't see well, and at the end he couldn't even smell to find his food. It was really awful. Poor little guy.

It's good to see Patti's story so that you don't get too upset. Some dogs can have an open fontanel and not have hydrocephalus. The hydrocephalus can be an increasing problem though, as more and more water puts pressure on the brain. I'm a little concerned with him not running in a straight line. Maybe that is common, but it is not something that I have seen with my dogs. Again, I HIGHLY recommend you take him to a really good vet and maybe even a neurologist if the vet recommends it, or you want to be sure. I would definitely take him to a neurologist if any other issues come up.

Not every case is the same. I don't want to upset you too much. Just want to encourage you to get to the vet ASAP so that you can know what you are dealing with either way.

Blessings to you. I'll say a prayer for your little guy.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!