View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 03:08 AM   #5
myteddybear
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

I can't give you much info but wanted to say, good for you! I hope you will share your research and final product here as I am so interested in hearing all you learn.

I am in shock really to hear that we have puppy auctions in the states! I knew they had them in Japan and found out the hard way while I was there years ago but never imagined that they were in the states as well.
I was younger then and not too bright as these things went. I walked by a pet shop with a window on the street and had no intentions of going inside but I saw the tiniest little Maltese and he looked so sad that I had to go in and see him. I went in and asked to hold him and he was just sad and I could hear his chest rattling. I couldn't bear to leave him and walked outside and asked my husband to bring me the money, 500 and something Yen. The shop owner could speak very little English and me very little Japanese so I handed over the money with no info really and out the door we went. That was on a Friday late afternoon. First thing Monday morning I had him at the vet and was told his chest rattling was far more sinister than just a respiratory problem. He had a congenital heart defect and would not live long. We went about the task of almost daily vet visits and giving him tons of medicines and had a Japanese friend of mine call the shop owner. He said bring him back and I will give you another. Me: What will you do with this one? My friend says, they will likely just kill him as they will not spend money on vet care. I was told at that time that the puppies all come from "the puppy market" aka puppy auction just the same as the stores, restaurants and fish stands go to every morning to stock up. I was told the puppies are taken VERY young, auctioned off for next to nothing and then sold in the shops for high dollar. They are not given shots or any other care, if they get sick they are killed and replaced.
I told him I will keep Sam until his time is up and care for him and bring him a death cert from my vet at that time. Little Sammy only lived one week after that and died a painful sudden death. It was a horrible experience for my whole family but I am still thankful that he did have one week out of that place and knew a little bit of love before he went.

Sorry that was so long but wanted to share my only experience with a pet shop puppy and puppy auctions. I know it is in Japan but I am afraid it isn't far from what is happening in the states as well.

I will be watching for your updates.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!