View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
PixieK83
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Top 20 foods to not feed your furbabes!

With the holidays approaching, we will have house guests come in and out and, I know that some have fed my dogs scraps in the past. This has gotten my very angry. But here is a list of the top 20 foods that are dangerous and even deadly to our babes. This is from the ASPCA. It even tells you why they are dangerous and what can happen. So please take a read!

The ASPCA says not to feed me (or your dog):
Alcoholic beverages
Avocado
Chocolate (all forms)
Coffee (all forms)
Fatty foods
Macadamia nuts
Moldy or spoiled foods
Onions, onion powder
Raisins and grapes
Salt
Yeast dough
Garlic
Products sweetened with xylitol
But more specifically, what’s going to happen to me if I DO eat these things? Y’know.. on “accident”? Or maybe just because I like my floors to be “crumb-free”?
Grapes and Raisins: Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure, and it only takes one serving.
Onions: Onions destroy red blood cells and can cause anemia.
Chocolate: Chocolate can cause seizures, coma and death. Baker’s chocolate is the most dangerous. I might be able to consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated, but it is still dangerous. (I found M&Ms outside on the ground once and ate a few – so far, so good!)
Coffee, Coffee grounds, tea and tea bags: Drinks/foods containing caffeine cause many of the same symptoms chocolate causes. Drats – no caffeine addiction for me!
Macadamia Nuts and Walnuts: Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis. Limit all other nuts as they are not good for dogs in general, their high phosphorous content is said to possibly lead to bladder stones. Exception to this rule seems to be PEANUT BUTTER (no jokes, thank you!). However- always use Salt/Sugar free ORGANIC Peanut butter (sugar encourages cancer growth) free . Try to use ORGANIC peanut butter because nearly all of the peanuts consumed in the U.S. are now among the most carcinogenic and pesticide-contaminated of any snack even we as humans can consume.
Animal fat and fried foods: Excessive fat can cause pancreatitis.
Bones: Cooked bones can splinter and damage my internal organs. Raw Bones should always be supervised as a piece can always break off and cause problems. Try frozen oxtails or frozen knuckle bones then take the bone away before your dog can swallow a final small piece whole. It’s a good natural way to clean teeth too.
Tomatoes: Tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmia. Tomato plants and the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe. (I licked some tomato sauce off the floor once, still breathing!)
Avocados: The fruit, pit and plant are all toxic. They can cause difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart.
Nutmeg: Nutmeg can cause tremors, seizures and death
Apples, Cherries, Peaches PITS and similar fruit are great for your dog – HOWEVER, the seeds of these fruits contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs as well as humans. Unlike humans, dogs do not know to stop eating at the core/pit and easily ingest them. It can also become lodged in the intestines and kill the your dog in 24 hours with no warning.
Raw eggs: Raw eggs can cause salmonella poisoning in dogs. Dogs have a shorter digestive tract than humans and are not as likely to suffer from food poisoning, but it is still possible. Scrambled lightly is best!
Salt: Excessive salt intake can cause kidney problems (as with any living thing, I think).
Mushrooms: Can be deadly- never let your pets chew on mushrooms found in your yard. Only safe “food” mushrooms are s**taki, maitake and reishi. If you’re a mushroom expert, you should be all set! http://olivesdailygrowl.com/wp-inclu.../icon_wink.gif
Xylitol: Even a small amount can cause liver failure and death. You can find them in breath mints, toothpaste, gum, mouthwash and other minty things.
Sugar and Corn Syrups: These things promote the growth of cancer. Honey and Molasses are OK, though they should only be given in small amounts and never for to dogs with cancer. If your dog becomes hypoglycemic, corn syrup is ok to be used for emergencies - especially for diabetic dogs.
Some foods that you should be careful giving to your dog:
Dairy: Use caution with dairy products as they are high in fat and can cause pancreatitis, gas and diarrhea. Usually, nonfat plain yogurt is safe in small amounts as is cottage cheese in small amounts.
Bread: Don’t give your dog any white breads, or anything that converts to sugar. Remember this simple rule – feed no WHITE colored foods!
Grains: Grains should not be given in large amounts or make up a large part of a dog’s diet, but these foods are generally safe in small amounts.
Vegetables: Carrots (and vegetables in general) are great for dogs, but carrots should not be given to dogs with cancer and should be served in moderation, due to the sugar content. Dogs have shorter digestive tracts than humans and cannot digest most vegetables whole or in large chunks. It’s best to put them through a food processor before giving them to your dog.
Meat: Meats should be boneless and it’s best if the skin is removed. Some people like a RAW diet. Some people rather cook. If you cook meat do not over cook. Keep it ‘rare’ so you don’t kill the enzymes. ESPECIALLY FOR SICK animals. However all Fish and Pork must be well cooked. Also note – totally Raw and cooked diets should never be mixed at the same meal as they digest differently. Be careful with Tuna, because it’s high in magnesium and may have bones in it. Even though we like them, don’t feed us ‘cold cuts’. They are high in salt and nitrates and can lead to kidney and digestive problems.
With all this in mind, remember that we doggies, like humans may also have allergies or just plain don’t tolerate certain foods. If something makes us sick, make sure you call the vet and don’t feed it to us again. If your dog has eaten anything on the “do not eat” list above, call the ASPCA Poison Hotline – (888) 426-4435.
Many treats and food sold in supermarkets are what are making us pets die young and get cancer or diabetes. Remember to read your labels. Look for these no-no foods like corn syrup in the ingredients.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!