View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
RachelandSadie
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
Wow, that sucks majorly. I was hoping it wasn't back! I have absolutely NO experience with demodex at all. But why is the vet waiting to do bloodwork? At this point, I feel like they might as well just do it now. And bloodwork is recommended to be done yearly anyways, so you could make sure everything else is functioning properly as well. I don't know, just my non-professional thoughts. Has he ever had bloodwork before? It just seems like it may not be a bad idea at this point in time, as it won't be a total waste, even if it doesn't pinpoint the demodex problem he's having. I think that would be the step I would be taking now, but like I said, no experience with any kind of skin infections, mites, etc. Demodex is a form of mange, right?
yea it's demodectic mange. skin mites. but not the contagious to others type like sarcoptic mange (scabies). it can infect them over and over and is VERY hard to treat/kill. her thoughts are that it's possible since we stopped meds after one negative skin scrape that we were fooled and they just went slightly dormant but were still present on his body so this time we're attacking past a few negative scrapes to make sure it's really really dead. i'm kinda with you though, i'm honestly considering just doing bloodwork now. i may ask for an estimate and see if i can payment plan it since it'll be a pretty penny. but since i've never had a blood panel done who knows what lurks behind his history and i'm like 90 percent sure he came from a puppy mill before his previous owners.
RachelandSadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!