Thread: Mourning?
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
Teresa Ford
Therapy Yorkies Work
Donating Member

I am so sorry for your loss. May God bless you with comfort and good memories.

To answer your question. Some dogs do grieve. But other dogs if they do grieve, I couldn't tell they were sad or if they were missing the other dog.
When Noah (18 years old) was put to sleep on June 20th of this year. We brought Noah home and unwrapped his blankie and let the other doggies see him and say good by in their own way. All four dogs sniffed him. Only Rubin nudged him and looked at me sadly. He also pawed at Noah in a very gentle way, like he was trying to wake him. Rubin got Noah's kong out of his crate and dropped it by him. He followed my son and hubby outside and watched them bury him. Rubin dropped the kong over and over on the dirt pile so they buried it with Noah. They put a flat stepping stone on top the new grave until we could have a marker made. Rubin laid on the stone until it got dark then he finally came in. So yes, Rubin who is 8 yrs. really grieved for Noah. Rubin still goes out and lays by Noah's headstone, almost daily for about ten minutes in the morning sun. The other dogs do not go into the little pet cemetery in the back yard.
Gracie who is 2 years old, looked for Noah in his crate the first few days. Gracie gets every one up for the day. But after that she didn't seem to miss him. Abba was very young just 12 weeks old, had no reaction at all. Lily our Lab was about a year old and seemed to know he was dead when we brought him home. She sniffed him and looked at us, she did not touch him or show curiosity about his crate, or bed. For about a month she would sniff at the grave very briefly, Rubin would growl and bark at her, then Lily would run off and play.
One weird thing Gracie did was drag Noah's crate pillow out onto the sun porch. After putting it back a few times, I gave up and put it in the trash. We moved his crate to the outside building until I needed to use it again.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!