View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006, 10:50 AM   #1
SoCalyorkiLvr
BANNED!

Default How Risky is Breeding to the Female?

The Breeder Costs thread was sort of going off topic on a discussion about the risk of breeding to the female dog so I decided it was best to start a new thread on the topic.

For as long as I have owned yorkies and belonged to forums the breeders I have talked to have always discouraged others from breeding and the main thing that rings in my head and that I have heard and read over and over again is......

Are you willing to risk the life of your female pet?

I have also read and heard that for some reason yorkies have an inordinately high mortality rate for dams than other breeds. These dams have a difficult time more often then not whelping. This is regardless of weight as I understand although some will argue it has to do with the "frame" of the dog more than the weight of the dog.

Is this true?

We have certainly had enough "real life" episodes here on YT to make me believe this but I wondered if there are studies or any other actual scientific data to support this or is it just from "experience" that you say this?

Or is this just a scare tactic to make those maybe interested in breeding really think hard about whether they want to do his or not? Is it the same mortality rate as for American women for example? What do the yorkie breeding books say in this topic?

Thanks for your responses.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!