View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #57
imdll
Senior Yorkie Talker

My little Lulu (Lu) is a Yorkie/Maltese and she was 3 lbs 7 oz at her last vet visit just over a month ago, she will be two the first part of December. When I got her in April she was 3 lbs 4 oz. Your little one is likely pretty close to being done growing but it is possible that she could fill out a little bit over the next year. Sometimes they just turn out tiny. Lu wasn't bred to be super tiny, her brother is over 5 lbs, not huge but substantially larger than Lu.

Some tiny dogs can have health issues ect. but we have been fortunate and Lu has been very healthy. You do have to be extra vigilent about any health issues that may arise because such a tiny dog can dehydrate quickly etc. if ill.

I wil say that her former owners did Lu and us a huge favor by treating Lu like a regular dog and letting her have all kinds of different experiences rather than completely babying her. It is of course up to you how you raise your dog but I personally feel that it is benificial to tiny dogs to be allowed to still experience life and have fun and play just like a bigger dog. Lu knows tricks and she is very obedient and doesn't get away with being a stinker just because she is little and cute. We are of course very vigilent about Lu's surroundings due to her tiny size but she plays fetch and tug of war and searches for her toys and goes for walks etc. It is a bit of a challenge finding toys that work for her but not impossible.

Good luck with your new little one. She'll be lots of fun I'm sure.
imdll is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!