View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 01:00 AM   #15
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkprincess13 View Post
i thought they were chocolate brown but i think they are more golden brown i still have never seen a golden one either lol see this is the story i had a male toy yorkie months ago i bought dollie my female see my male is suppost to be fixed when i bought him but i guess he wasient=/ dolle was never around any other dog except him 5 days ago i found out dollie was pregnant so the whole time i was very emotional since my male died he was killed by a husky so these puppies mean alot to me im not a breeder this was never my intention i will put pictures of the father
Your puppies are NOT chocolate and I do not think they are what they are calling goldens either. BTW -- those are actually just slang names for non-standard yorkies. Basically it appears you have mixed breed puppies. I am trying to be honest. People can talk to you all about chocolates and goldens but it is not doing anyone any good and it would be very unprofessional and dishonest to try to sell them as chocolates or goldens to unsuspecting buyers. Bottom line is you don’t know what these puppies are.

I am going to be honest - this is not rudeness, you need to know. You were evidently cheated when someone sold you the female saying she was registered and then she was not. It seems you were cheated when you bought the male too. I don't know if your male (who was supposed to be "fixed") is the sire of this litter or not or if he was full yorkie either. If you did not see the tie, neither do you. You cannot get these puppies honestly registered. Based on what you are telling us here, you are really not sure who sired this litter. Dogs are very resourceful when it comes to being in heat. They can mate through fences, cages, you name it and they will do it to try to get together. If you were not with your girl 24/7 then you cannot be sure who the sire is. You say you lost the male months ago, how long exactly? Yorkies have a 59-63 day gestation period -- meaning if she just had the puppies, then she was bred ONLY 2 months ago. So the male that you lost months ago to the husky was probably NOT the sire. For a litter of 5 puppies, it is also highly likely that there was more than one tie. You could actually have more than one sire! IF your male was still alive 2 months ago and you saw him tie with your female, then you need to also know his history. Was he registered? Do you have his pedigree? Who were his parents?

You cannot get your dog or these puppies registered at any reputable Kennel Club. There are some registries that will take your money and give you a piece of paper saying basically anything you want it to, but those same pieces of paper are not worth anything unless you are going to use them to cheat someone else.

You have a female that does appear to be yorkie -- BUT ..... she does not appear to be breeding quality. She may be the best pet ever but she is pet quality and not breeding quality. Sorry. I am also concerned that you did not know she was pregnant until 5 days ago and she had the puppies 2 days ago! How could you not notice a litter of 5 PUPPIES growing inside of her? Do you have daily contact with her? Do you groom her daily? When was the last time you had her at the vet? Is she current on all shots, health checks, dental exams, etc?

My advice is to get her spayed as soon as the vet thinks it is safe and healthy to do so. Let her be the best yorkie pet in the world and NOT breed her again. I would charge a rehoming fee for these puppies -- something not to exceed $100 (maybe $200 if a spay/neuter contract will return $100 once the new owners show proof of spay or neutering) and I would not sell them until you could safely spay and neuter them or use a S/N Contract! The spay neuter agreement/contract would say that the new owner must spay/neuter the puppy by such and such a date and then you could reimburse them part of the sales fee.

Too often when someone has a litter of puppies, everyone jumps on the bandwagon to tell them how "cute" they are and then the person gets the idea that breeding their dog was a good thing. In this case, that is not true. It sounds like just about everything that would be wrong in breeding is the case here! You have no information on dam and sire history, there was no pre-breeding testing done, you are not even sure who the sire is -- the puppies do NOT look like they were from 2 yorkies! You basically have a momma yorkie of questionable parentage herself and five mixed breed puppies. Please do NOT try to sell these as anything RARE. There are people out there that are trusting -- just as you were. Let the buck stop here and be honest that you do not know what these puppies are.

If you are in doubt if you should think about selling these puppies as pure breds.......or try to make a profit from the puppies......take a look at what a professional breeder goes through. (BTW -- you ARE a breeder since you own a female dog and she has a litter of puppies!! That DOES make you a breeder, just not a knowledgeable or professional one.)

It takes a LOT of study to ready yourself for the very BIG responsibility of breeding yorkshire Terriers! You were fortunate that these puppies were born alive and your female is still alive! I studied for TWO years and there is still so much I could learn! You have to ensure you have two dogs that meet the Yorkshire Terrier Standards. Then they also need to be complimentary of each other! There are dozens of checklist points that need to be gone over to decide if they are breeding quality and if they are going to be a good match between the two. You don't even just evaluate these two dogs -- you have to look at their family history and other litters from their parents. You look for anything that could be a genetic problem. It is very important to look at these parents' parents AND as many litters from these parents as possible.

You should have two unbiased Yorkie experts that are well-versed in the showing of Yorkshire Terriers go over the dogs with a critical eye to check for standard, -- you can find the Yorkie standards here: Yorkshire Terrier Club of America -- bone structure, bite, ear set, coat color and texture, check the hips the knees, all joints really to ensure no anomalies or congenital problems, for examples.

Then you would want to go to the vet and have them check more -- get a certificate to certify their eyes, heart, knees and hips are all checked out perfect (CERF & OFA). Then you get the blood work to check for more problems that shows up in blood tests -- STDs, liver function tests, bile acid tests, checking for shunts, thyroid levels, renal health, a current Brucellosis test on both, pelvic exams for the dams, microscopic exams of semen for the males & other microbiological testing to ensure they are clear of more health problems. None of this is cheap!!! It costs a lot to get two dogs thoroughly checked out to know they are breeding quality and compatible and complimentary to each other. IF you have done all this, then you have earned the right to be asking about registering pups and thinking about selling them for money!

I would tell you to give these pups away and NOT make one cent from their sale, but unfortunately that is not always good either as there are unscrupulous folks who will take them for free and then sell them for not so nice purposes. So, you have to put some price on them so people will understand they do have value even as mixed breed pups. Just be honest with potential buyers. Stop the cycle of dishonesty that was the case with both of your purchases.

I wish you well with these puppies. I ask that you do as much research NOW into whelping puppies so that you can take care of these little ones' needs over the next 12-16 weeks. Do not let them go before then. They need that long with momma and siblings. If possible, I would try to find a mentor -- a professional breeder in your area that might share some knowledge with you and be available in case of emergency in addition to your vet and an emergency vet. You may have trouble finding someone to do this at this late date and without any pre-breeding criteria met. It is a big risk! But try to prepare yourself as much as possible so you can help with these puppies if needed. Ask yourself, what would you do if you lost the momma dog tomorrow? Would you know what to feed? How, how much, and when ? Would you know what to do to stimulate their bowels? ETCCCC!

Read at these links for info on how you should be taking care of momma and puppies:
Dog Breeding and Canine Reproduction by Debbie Jensen. Dog Breeding and Whelping guide for dog breeders. -- I think I got the best info from this lady!
Jon-An's Yorkshire Terriers (Puppy birth)
Whelping Puppies - Yorkshire Terrier Bea - Stay with your dam
YorkieInfoCenter | Yorkshire Terrier Pregnancy

Ask lots of questions here -- there are some very experienced and knowledgeable breeders that will share their knowledge with you if you show the dedication to learn and care for these puppies as they deserve.

Please take this responsibility seriously -- you have six little lives all depending on you. Until now, little has been done to ensure them a good future. You can change that! Try to redeem yourself here and do right by these pups!
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!