View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 06:40 AM   #15
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlDebra View Post
I'm using Sold Gold Just a Wee Bit right now. I change every 6 months or so. I don't like to change often because I have sensitive stomachs here. They tend toward loose stools if anything is different. Still, I don't like to leave them on the same food forever, just in case they were missing something.

I like no-grain formulas (Solid Gold does contain grain though) IF they are not too high in protein. I do not like to feed any food that is over 32% protein. It can lead to pancreatitis over time and sometimes with just a feeding or two!! Larger dogs may be able to tolerate it better than yorkie-sized yorkies. No offense to any dog or person here but when you are comparing diets, I think it is more important to compare with dogs more the same size as yours. We have people with dogs from 1 pound to 25 pounds here -- obviously NOT the same situation! The smaller dogs do have a higher history of pancreatiits problems.

Merricks Before Grain is an excellent choice! If i can find it locally, I will switch to it next. I am trying to get our Hardware store where I buy my Solid Gold to stock it since they do stock other Merrick's products. I think it is one of the best choices around. Most of the no-grain products have too high a protein percentage for me to feel comfortable with. As a human with chronic pancreatitis, I am more conscious of it and never want my pups to feel what I feel with this horrible condition!
Just as an FYI - Merrick has had a LOT of quality control issues. Might be something to look into. I know every company has had their issues and problems, but theirs seem constant. I don't really respect or like Merrick anymore.

Also, feeding a high protein food alone can NOT cause pancreatitis -- at least it has not been proven in dogs. But there is a lot of unknown, in general, about what causes pancreatitis, but typically speaking it's high fatty foods (hence why vets see large cases of them around the holidays). Pancreatitis can also flare up in a Yorkie only being fed low protein, low fat kibble. Also, German Shepherds are another breed OFTEN affected with pancreatitis (and upset stomach) so it's not simply a "small dog-big dog" thing. I don't know a ton about pancreatitis, as I only dealt with a supposed case of it with Jackson once, but I've had a few discussions with my vets (two of them) now and both have informed me that a high protein food alone does not cause pancreatitis. From everything I've read, it seems that's also the case. Maybe it's different in humans.

Just wanted to put that out there in case someone reads it while looking for pancreatitis information or food, etc.

Last edited by Britster; 11-11-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!