View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
Brandyomoore
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Liver Shunt! Help

Help! I am so new to this and not exactly sure where I should be posting this. If Im in the right section, awesome. If not, please let me know and I will re-post.

I just purchased my little Sammie two weeks ago, shes about 10 weeks old now. On her 7th night with us I came home to find her dripping in sweat, barely coherent and barely moving. I rushed her to Bensfield where they did a simple blood test and came back not looking so good so they sent me to a hospital.

We took Sammie right away and they proceeded to tell me they thought she might have a liver shunt. I was extremely surprised. I hadn't seen any issues with her at all, the day before was night and difference. They had given her some food and within five mins she was back to normal. barking jumping around. They wanted to keep her over night to do the Bio-lastic test(excuse the spelling if its wrong) which came back and said that her numbers were at 115 after eating and normal is at 20. Which then they told me they were 90% she had shunt.

I'm so new to this. I havent even been out of my parents house for 3 months and I have had pets my whole life and never had to deal with anything like this. I am supposed to go in Wednesday to discuss surgery and diet plan. Its so hard to think my poor baby needs surgery when she acts perfectly normal, besides sleeping all the time but shes a baby!!

Basically I'm asking for any info anyone has to give me. Or what specific things you think I should know walking into this. Drs said the next step would be a ultra sound? Does that sound right?

I guess I just feel like Im walking into this blindly. Any info for me would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Brandyomoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!