View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #14
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Here are the Grooming Clips provided on the Yorkshire Terrier Club of America's site ytca.org Yorkshire Terrier Club of America Grooming Lots of good info there.

There are some Youtube videos on Yorkie grooming: This is part 1, you'll be cued to go on to Part 2 ,
Yorkie Maltese Products and Bows: Grooming Instructions This site gives yorkie bathing and grooming instructions -- good ear care (trimming, taping, etc.) info.

I had a great DVD on grooming but I wound up letting it go to the new family of one of my pups. I bought it on ebay though. Here is the one I had -- it is a good one: YORKIE DOG grooming instructional video DVD 3rd. Ed. | eBay I know you wanted free -- but the best ones I have seen require some money. You might put a request in the Wanted section here (I think you have to be a member for over a month) and see if anyone wants to sell theirs.

Your dog is probably a lot yorkie but not full bred. He sure looks adorable though! Kudos to you for giving him a safe, healthy home with love and affection. Yorkies are a very social breed and depriving this baby of human contact during his early life was abusive as you have already guessed. They thrive with lots of human contact.

To get his coat in optimal condition good grooming, to include daily brushing is a must. But diet is also very important. You will find a premium food is going to be worth it in the long run. You will use less food, have nice little compact poops, and have a stronger, healthier dog than if you choose to feed the economy brands.

I initially fed my dachshund Alpo and Pedigree -- thinking them good foods. When I found out more about canine nutrition and what was allowed in those brands, I quickly switched to better food. But my dachshund lived to be 17 1/2 years old. So, it won't kill them to eat the cheap stuff..... but I often wondered if I had her on a premium diet from the start, if she would have had a more comfortable life in her old age. She was plagued with arthritis, bad arthritis. I don't take chances now. I feed the good stuff.

As far as shampoos, there again, you get what you pay for. I had some cheap stuff I had bought at a grocery store. You had to use so much of it to get a lather and good washing! Then you needed LOTS of conditioner as the shampoo did not leave their hair at all soft or tangle free. Now I use Minksheen or Espree shampoo and conditioners. Espree has lots of choices. My favorites are the Espree Hypo-allergenic Natural Coconut Shampoo and the Espree Luxury Remoisturizer. You use such a small amount of each, that they safe money in the long run! Plus you have this wonderful, tangle free hair, to comb through making grooming a breeze!

Since this poor baby was not cared for, even abused.... you may have to bathe him several times before you start getting rid of that smell. I would suggest a baking soda or vinegar rinse a few times to help with getting the smell to go away.

Bless you for saving this little guy. He is so cute. I cannot imagine how anyone lives with themselves while mistreating such a sweet dog!!! Enjoy your partnership with Mojo!
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!