View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
PixieK83
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Why doesn't he play!? :(

Thanks so so much for the warm welcome and the great advice on my last post!
I really appreciate it! It feels like such a family here. I can't wait to become part of it!

Well, for those of you who don't know, I just adopted a 8 year old, Yorkiepoo (part Yorkie part Poodle). He is very shy and skittish. His old owners really didn't care for him or do anything for him. He basically just sat in a room by him self all day long.

Well, since I have gotten him, he has been staying in his little tent. I was worried about him not coming out. But today (I got him Saturday evening), he came out twice, which I think is progress! And each time he stayed out a little longer -- still not long, but its progress! When he comes out I give him a treat, pet him, get on the floor with him and try to play with him. This is the question and concern I have. He does not play Is this normal? When I went to get him I didn't see any toys around the room. So I went to the pet store that night and got him some toys and he wont touch them. I try playing fetch, and nothing. Now I know he is older, but I don't think that has anything to do with it because he doesn't look or act old. He reminds me of all my other 4-5 year old dogs I have had. He doesn't act or remind me of a senior at all. Could this be that he is just not used to playing? Or that he doesn't know how to play?! How can I teach him or get him to take a stuffie or play fetch? My last purebred Yorkie loved toys! I had them everywhere! Could it be that Poodles aren't playful and he is just getting that trait from his Poodle side? I'm just worried about him! I want him to thrive in my home! I want him to feel loved, which he hasn't and you can tell he is not used to love and attention, which is just so sad and breaks my heart. Arg! I just don't know about these people who get animals and can't or don't take care of them. It's horrible and literally makes me ill.

Anyways, thanks so much!

Here is a pic of him on his second day of me having him. He was out of the tent, but near it! Haha!

Also, I was wondering what you guys think...
Do you think he looks more Yorkie or more Poodle!? I definitely think he takes the Yorkie side!

Love
Hugs Pawprints
Keri and Little Lucky
Attached Thumbnails
Why doesn't he play!? :(-luckyday2.jpg  
PixieK83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!