View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

In these circumstances when a dog is not responding to recall, is anticipating and moving away from an approach, I give the "Stay" or "Stop" command. Usually the dog will freeze in position and let you walk up and leash/lift them whereas they may not be responding to a "Come".

Training the "Stay" or "Stop" is every bit as important as the recall. Work a lot on that if your dog will not freeze in place and allow you to approach and leash or pick up.

If the dog is not that trained in "Stay", hold out your hand and offer a treat, whether you have one or not. I have kibble in just about every pocket! When the dog gets close to take the treat, quietly say "Stay" or "Stop" and move the hand with the treat around in front of the dog's face to keep his attention on that as you leash or lift him.

As mentioned above, if all else fails, try lying down on your back or walking away - anything to lure the dog toward you or after you and then command the quiet "Stay" or "Stop" when the dog gets within easy reach to leash them or take them in your arms.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!