View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 08:09 AM   #9
lvtyorkie
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanDwi View Post
How's Gabby doing after her surgery? Was your experience good with Dr Tobias?

Pika is currently on Lactulose and Metronidazol to control the toxins as well as a low protein diet. I've done alot of reading on this condition before as my moms yorkie has been diagnosed with microvascular dysplasia. I was always watching for signs and symptoms and she was 100% other then liking her sleep which I just thought was a puppy thing. When she started showing symptoms it was an emergency situation. She was unable to walk had tremors and drooling. She was in the ICU for 4 nights to stablize her and finally diagnose her. She finally came home yesterday and is stable and happy at home. She's still pretty wobbly but gets around pretty good.
I'd love any info you may have or any advise
We live in Idaho so we could not get to Dr. Tobias wish we could have as she is the best. Gabby did not have the symptoms your Pika did, her problem was lack of appetite and her Bile Acids were high. The first thing is probably is a ultra sound or other diagnostic to determine what exactly Pika has.(maybe you already have had this) Surgery is the best option if she has the shunt on the outside of Liver. Cost can range anywhere from 1700 up. We were pretty close to 2700. Honestly we have only been dealing with this for about a month but from I can gather diet is very important. The Lactulose should help move food thru her system faster to help with toxin retention. I know it is scary but at least you know what you are dealing with. She should really start feeling better with new diet and meds. The ameroid ring is recommended as it shuts the shunt down slowly. Our Gabby had to have the cellophane banding because of location of the shunt. Both are not quick fixes and can take months to fully close. These methods are better to let the liver adjust to the new blood flow and there are usually less complications. Follow up bile tests and monitoring will indicate if the surgery is a success. I recommend you go to the best you can afford and get to. Sorry you are dealing with this, I know it is hard. Join the liver shunt support group on Yahoo.
lvtyorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!