View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
Teresa Ford
Therapy Yorkies Work
Donating Member

First let me say I am not quoting anyone. This is my method. Just a reminder, as I said before, if your dog is showing true aggression, biting and drawing blood, you need in home help with a live trainer. Not this short little lesson.
DAY 2 ENOUGH, no more, snarl, snap, bite.
Yorkies rarely just start nipping and acting bossy suddenly. Any odd behavior that seems out of character could mean your dog is in pain, even sick. A vet should rule out any health problems. If your Yorkie is healthy and has gradually gotten out of hand, it will take time, repetition, love and determination to put things right.
What I am telling you is not based on some study of wolf behavior, dominance, the alpha dog theory or you acting like the mother dog. It is based on over 30 years training small dogs and loving, Yorkies. Think back when your dog was a puppy, didn't he count on you for everything ? Protection, food, toys, walks, potty time, playing, and grooming ? That is what a good leader provides. Someone in the family has to be the leader. A young child or a Yorkie can not decide when to buy groceries, make a vet appointment, wear a seat belt, what food is the best for them, or always understand the rules. Young children I mean toddlers and Yorkies are a lot alike. They may want to play in the street, never take a bath, or get their teeth brushed, they may cry and protest when you say enough treats, or you need a nap now. As the leader it is your responsibility make good rules, to keep your family safe. Every lesson builds on the lesson they have learned before. If you don't make the rules your Yorkie will.

Lesson # 3 Today continue with nothing in life is free. Take a walk with your dog. Stay in charge on the walk. For these lessons use a regular harness and leash. Flexi-leashes will not work. Along with the potty bags take your spray water bottle. If your dog barks at other dogs give the cue word ENOUGH and change directions. If he keeps barking, cue with ENOUGH and spray one quick blast of water to break his barking trance. As soon as he is quiet praise with a very happy Good Quiet. Remember to keep your walk brisk it is for exercise, not exploring and potty. When you decide give the cue word SNIFF AROUND and let him sniff and potty.When you are ready, pat your left leg and cue with LET'S GO ( or Heel if your dog is trained to heel) and resume your walk. If your dog wants to keep sniffing sorry, he must follow you. Just start walking after you give the cue word. That is enough work on the walk to day.
It is ok to change where and how you feed your dog. This lesson will remind your Yorkie where and who all the food comes from. If your dog is crate trained you can start feeding him in his crate. I allow my dogs to own, what is in their crate. A. Give your cue, we say CRATE (use what you say crate, bed, so on) then put the food in the crate and close the door. Usually 20 min.s is enough time for them to eat. Free Feeding is no longer acceptable. Resource guarding is not good. If you do not want to feed your dogs in their crate use option B. B. You should always eat before your dog gets his meal. Even if it is only a nibble of carrot. Let him see you eat first. Cue him with Sit. When he sits put bowl on the floor with like 10 kibble in it. If he gobbles them up, drop 10 more, and repeat until his normal portion is eaten. Then pick up the bowl. If he is guarding the bowl skip using 'his' bowl and use paper plates or several bowls with a few kibble in each. When he finishes one, cue with SIT and set another bowl down a few feet away. This trade it in method, works most of the time. When he is eating from the new bowl, if he is not showing aggression, pick up the empty one, and reuse it.
Get a spreadable goody like fat free cream cheese, doggie canned spray cheese, honey, peanut- butter etc. ( If you have other dogs they should not be apart of lesson time, we want to discourage competition) Sit on a chair, foot stool or floor. Call your dog to you. Pretend to lick the treat off the back of your hand. now cue your dog with the word EASY and offer the treat covered back of your fist to your dog. Praise with Good Easy. Good boy. Repeat this lesson at least three times daily for the next 7 days. And then once a week for life. EASY is a beautiful cue. It means be gentle no teeth. You Yorkie should always take treats from your hand very gently.
The closed fist will be important later. A lot of things may seem silly now, but will all work together later. Retraining is so worth it, just keep at it. Be consistent.
Hope this helps. Teresa
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!