View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
Teresa Ford
Therapy Yorkies Work
Donating Member

Default ENOUGH, no more Snarl, Snap, Nip, or Bite

When you raise a dog and they bite as adult, usually it is your fault. Bet you didn't expect to see that in print. No of course you don't want your dog to bite and you never set out to teach him to be a bratty nipper. We love our Yorkies so much, we let them get away with a lot. We would not allow a 150 pound Rottie to snarl, snap or nip at us. A three pound Yorkie souldn't be allowed to either. I can give you advice and lessons that will break the guarding, nip cycle. You may not agree with some of the things I want you to do. You may skip some of the steps. That is ok, but my method may not work if you skip steps.
Retraining your dog takes work and repetition. And it is for your Yorkies own good. Biting is never allowed. The law says so, and it can cost your precious Yorkie his life. Yorkies who think they are the boss and biting is ok, are a 100% more likely to be attacked by a bigger dog, be kicked by a frightened person, hit by a car (because they ignore their person calling them), given up, and sadly, even put down.
TIt is time for Tough Love, from now on
NOTHING IN LIFE IS FREE.
Right now there is a problem because, your dog has been allowed to growl, guard things, and nip. You have to remind him he is not allowed to behave this way. You wouldn't allow your spouse, child or employer to scream and slap you. Your Yorkie should not be allowed to treat you that way either. If you are fearful of being bitten, some of these lessons will be scary for you. If you put bare hands near teeth, you may get a nip. Most of the time, I can help you avoid a real hard bloody bite, but you may get a nip. ( If your dog is showing true aggression biting and drawing blood, you need in home help with a live trainer, not this short little lesson.) Still want to do this ? OK lets go. First if he sleeps with you, Sorry but he needs to sleep in his own bed or crate for the next 7 days.
#1. Get your tools ready. You will need : A. Small spray bottle filled with water and set on stream not mist. B. Several rolled up balls of old socks or tennis balls, if you can toss them gently even when upset. C. A swimming tube floaty or a light weight wooden yardstick D. A Noise maker. Choose what feels right for you. You may clap, say No in a firm voice, use a small bike horn, a soda bottle or can with a few dried beans or pennies in it. E. A hand protector if needed, can be an oven mit, or a towel wrapped around your hand. E. a harness and cloth leash
#2. DAY ONE: Remind your dog of all he already knows. Clip a leash to his harness and let him drag it around. A leash gives you a connection to your dog. Even if you are not touching it. Have him sit before you give him his food. Have him sit or lay down before you take him out. Have him sit and high five or shake hands before you pet or play with him. Take him for a walk and have him heel (if he does not heel that is ok for now just use a short leash and speed walk him.) Don't let him stop and sniff when he wants to. He may sniff and potty when you decide and give him the cue SNIFF AROUND) Pat your leg and cue LETS GO or HEEL and resume your walk. From Day One, Nothing in life is Free. Your Yorkies has to do his chores to get rewards.
If you think this might help, tomorrow I will go to Lesson 3. Just let me know. the Just Right Yorkies and Teresa
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!