View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
deonk1
YT 1000 Club Member

I have a chew snarler and underwear muncher :eek He will get REALLY agressive if he's gotten into the laundry and you don't approach him the right way.

So what my coach told me for treats, is make sure that chews are always broke into multiple pieces, never just have one chew, that way you can lay 3-4 pieces of the chew, and pick one up, then trade so that the dog gets used to getting either the same thing or somethign better for giving up the chew. This works for chews

For underwear we unfortunately cannot get the same reaction, so I have to be more stern with him. He's too fixated on the laundry, so we startle him with a "no" or growl to get his teeth away from the laundry, and we play a game of chase to get him out of the bathroom. If I feel teeth (ie he bites me) he gets a time out, and a loud "NO!" Time out consists of 30 seconds in a crate with absolutely nothing in it. no food, no blankets no water. more than 30 seconds is useless cause they wont remember why they are given this treatment.

I know that there is a need for positive training, and I am a very positive trainer in my agility training, but unless the aggression stems from fear, a stern time out will not hurt them, and Harley has mostly stopped his snarling. I can now clap and say his leave it command and he'll at least walk away from it.

That being said I'd also teach "leave it" There are lots of ways to do it, and many good books, if you want more info on leave it let me know and i'll post how I do it.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!