View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megansmomma View Post
No this is not normal behavior for a 12 week old puppy. It is recommended that Yorkies stay with their mother and litter mates until at least 12 weeks of ago. You brought Oliver home at least three weeks early which could be causing the issues that you are experiencing. You really need to get these issues under control or things will continue to escalate Having a trainer is a great start and as Gemy suggested you should speak to your trainer about the specific issues that Oliver is displaying. ....
This was my first thought too! Too many times people think there is nothing wrong with taking puppies home early. I saw a thread here not long ago where some were suggesting those of us encouraging never taking a pup away from mom & siblings before 12 weeks of age were silly and overly-protective! Sure they can eat and play but when they are taken away too early, they are NOT confident. Lacking confidence, they are afraid and will strike out with biting problems SO often, it is not worth the risk to the puppy's personality!

You can train out of this behavior but it will take LOTS of patience, consistency and may well require a professional. I am not picking on the OP as so many of us did not know before we got our first yorkie. It is really the responsibility of the breeders to STOP selling them so young! They need to STOP being so greedy and keep those puppies with mom & siblings for a FULL 12 weeks and longer if needed, so they are fully socialized and ready to join a new family without winding up with personality issues.
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!