View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
Yorkadelphia
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Is this normal Yorkie behavior?

Hello, new user here!

My husband and I just welcomed our new 12 week old Yorkie Oliver three weeks ago. The first couple of days we had him, he was relatively calm. He would bark like a mad man if we stepped out of the room, but we spent a lot of quality time with him, and he has become very affectionate with us. He has gotten to the point where he is OK to be left alone (we have a dog walker come in daily while we are at work), but we are starting to get a little concerned about his behavior.

It all started with his shots, which he got last week. He ferociously bit the vet when he got the shots and he kind of attacked the tech who clipped his nails. The vet warned me that Ollie has a bit of "Napolean complex." The bad behavior continued when we took him to a puppy socialization class. Although he was the smallest puppy there, he was kind of a bully. Most of the time he was playing nice and the other puppies were wagging their tails, but sometimes he was too much with the nipping and barking, and he drove them away.

I took him to the groomer for the first time today and they had to muzzle him because he was nipping at them so much. We are trying to teach him bite inhibition and rewarding calm and obedient behavior. This forum has been great for tips. Should I be worried about him, or has anyone else in my shoes seen their Yorkie act this way as a puppy?

I really appreciate the feedback!!
Yorkadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!