View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
BarbaraM
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
I am sorry to hear this. What I will say is that to do a flouroscopy early on is really not necessary for every pup with CT. Some pups can have CT for many years and it not get to where his is. I have had CT pups and it is an awful condition when it gets bad.
Yes, keeping the weight off is important and so is rest .. and cool temperatures. I personally will not have the surgery done on my pups...but some have done it with some temporary success.
I will keep your him in my thoughts and prayers...and you as well. I know how very stressful this is.
Thank you for the kindess, ladyjane, I have some reading up to do here! I had no idea what was truly wrong. Didn't realize the severity. It just took him longer and longer to recover from an episode. Once at a groomers during the summer and what happened a couple days (feels longer) ago.

I was told the test is a bit more conclusive as to what the obstruction is at the time of episodes - whether elongated soft palate, trachea issues, etc. I am certain had TeddE been given the fluoroscopy last year - or the year before that - during an episode the trachea problem would have been found. Like I said, the vet he saw Thursday made a general dx of palate issues and we did schedule the xray and surgery for 11-04. Believing it was this somewhat 'minor' issue.

Purdue called yesterday and the test confirmed a severely collapsed trachea. I knew as much - he was in such distress! Suggested a stent and I immediately said no. I had been home googling every disease possible after dropping him off at Purdue Lafayette. We viewed the films when we arrived to pick him up. He was a MESS! He was still agitated for being poked every hour on the hour. And the doc was still injecting him while we were standing by the car!!! MORE steroids. MORE sedation for the trip home. I think she should have given ME some too. Really.

He is home now. On hydromet, theophyline, prednisone (short term) acepromazine AND A DIET! I gave him a little half bath - for while he is under sedation, he goes to the bathroom on his bedding. Or as he is walking up the stairs to go outside.

It is so very quiet here. He is resting. The other two must know what is up for they have been very calm, too. Actually, they avoid him like the plague. Almost afraid to be in the same room with him? Does he smell like vet maybe?

More info should have been given to me about the possibility of it worsening - especially with his increased weight. We tried walking him but he would wheeze/cough/honk so bad we stopped. This added to MORE weight. I still did NOT know what was happening, during this three year time frame. Not one of those vets gave me a brochure, suggested a THING, and all three felt he was overweight. But I told them he coughed soon after getting a leash on. To the point of gasping for air. Still, NO INFO. ???

What matters now, is he is home. On meds and resting comfortably with a clean behind on clean bedding. No more poking. I even have his favorite CD playing and I can hear just a bit of a wheeze and a tiny snore. (He does have a bit of a palate issue, too - but I was told that is not the problem)

He will be a problem with the decrease in his food while being on steroids and I am getting a plan of action together with the family. Oooh, he is making funny noises now. poor little guy. I feel like I let him down.

Anyone hear of Herbals called Empirical Lung Qi Support (Phlegm-Heat Cough)?? Supposed to help with CT? Ingredients:
Gua Lou Pi (Trichosanthis)
Bai Bu (Stemonae Rx)
Huang Qin (Scutellariae Radix)
Sang Bai Pi (Mori Cortex)
Ting LI Zi (Descuraniae Semen)
Zhu Ru (Bambusae Caulis)
Di Long (Lumbricus)
Bai Ji Li (Tribuli Fructus)
Gan Cao (Glycyrrhizae Rx)
Zhi Shi (Fructus Immaturus Citri Aurantii)
Dan Nan Xing (Ariasaema Felle Bovis)

The site suggests grain free food and he has been on Nutrisca - grain free. But now we are going raw for sure. My bichon is allergic to everything. Why chance it with food?
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!