View Single Post
Old 01-11-2006, 10:15 AM   #13
artierae
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default I agree, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieRose
It is the very worst thing that can happen to a breed. The more the demand, the more the brokers must buy for pet shop..so mills must breed more and more...The rescues and full of Dalmations..everybody wanted one when the movie came out..but few realized how difficult a Dal is to train and live with..and many are deaf.

Nothing would please me more then for the Yorkie to drop off the AKC chart and become unpopular to own. When I started breeding they were number 12 or 15 as I recall..not even in the top ten.
This scares me alot..
Pat, you are so right! Many MANY years ago I raised Miniature Poodles. They were wonderful little dogs. Then they became very popular, which at first made me feel good. But, as you say, the down side is that everybody wants to get in on the action and poodles not only became a drug on the market, they lost so much in being bred by everyone (unscrupulous breeders!) to make money. I was not interested in staying in the breeding, so I quit. I hope the same thing doesn't happen to Yorkies, but I am afraid it will. It happened to a certain extent to GSD also. And, as you say to Dalmations.
artierae is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!