View Single Post
Old 01-11-2006, 08:48 AM   #5
hasrv4fun
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deber
Rancher (77 yrs) out in our farming community has highly sought after cattle dogs. While discussing dogs (what else is there to talk about) last weekend he mentioned he only vac. his dogs for rabies, parvo when puppys and used frontline for ticks and fleas. I told him I had been told (many yrs ago) that he should have a heartworm test each year before giving frontline (its what I do). He said he believed dogs nowdays were over vac. and over druged.

I know I was told this by our Vet but also know the products we use have changed over the years. I think I was told that frontline could kill the dog if it had heartworms (which we have a lot of here in the south). I have 8 dogs and while I agree that some of the shots given each year may not be needed and in fact can be harmful..I wonder about the frontline. It is the ONLY product that completely does the job for us, but I always have the dogs on heartguard too. Is he risking his dogs life by using frontline without checking for heartworms in his dogs? In the old days any GOOD flea and tick protection was by prescription only..now you can buy it on the internet. Has the product changed? Will ask our Vet next time we are there, but wondered if you knowledgeable people know the answer to this! He loves our dogs and adores his own. I think he would consider any suggestion I would give but I would like to be correct!

Heartguard is for heartworms and you dog should be tested yearly for heartworms and kept on Heartguard if you live in the warmer climates ( where there are mosquitos ) year around and even in the north they should be kept on it yeararound to prevent.

Frontline is for fleas and ticks which have nothing to do with Heartworms.
Don't take my word for it even though I have used these products for years, Check with your vet!!!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!