View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #5
zowiandnikasmom
YT 500 Club Member

i personally have experience with giving a cat fluid injections daily for kidney problems, but not with dogs or specifically yorkies. years ago, my moms cat (6 years old at the time) became suddenly very ill and we were told that her kidneys were shutting down. she tolerated getting the daily fluids very well with very little discomfort. at first, it does seem like it is pretty extreme, but it only takes a few minutes and once you do it, it really doesn't seem that bad. my mom didn't have the heart to do it at first so i would go to her house every afternoon for the 1st few months and do it for her. she did eventually get comfortable enough to do it on her own once she realized that her kitty didn't mind them and that they were saving her life. her kitty is now 13 years old and very healthy and happy. we were told that she would need the fluids every day for the rest of her life but a few years ago her dr was amazed and my mom was able to start doing them twice a week, then eventually stopped them altogether.
also, has your dr given a prescription food such as k/d for your baby? this will also help if you can get your baby to eat it. they have dry and canned varieties available. my mom's kitty has been on hills rx diet k/d for cats ever since she got sick and has done very well on it all these years. you could also ask the dr if there are any supplements or vitamins that could also be added in to the diet to help kidney function.
i am very sorry that you're going through this with your baby. as lj said, you could give it a try and see how it goes, if it were my baby i would definitely try. it is so sad to see them age and get sick, but your baby is lucky to have15 wonderful years of love and happiness thanks to you! my heart goes out to you and you will be in my thoughts and prayers. sending you a hug!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!