View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
dryoasis88
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default pee pads in a litter box

I had this issue with Hepburn a while back. He learned to pee on newspaper, but then started ripping it up afterwards. Then we went to pee pads, and those got ripped up too. Then we went to pee pads in a tray, but by then he was already using any fabric in the house as his pee pads instead of using the one in the tray. But it stopped the ripping up of soiled (yes, he only shreds soiled ones, not clean ones) pee pads.

What I did was buy a regular cat litter box and put the pee pad in there. I started by encouraging him with treats to go in the litter box with nothing in it. Then I put a pee pad in it and did the same. Then, every time he barked to go out (he is indoor and outdoor trained, we lived in a 4th floor walk up for the first year I had him) I would put him in the box and wait for him to pee. If he came out, I would put him back until he peed. Then, if he peed I would get so excited and give him a treat. The key is to get the dog to realize that it is not just a particular material or texture that makes a spot an acceptable pee pad, but the location it is placed in. I liked the litter box because I could a. hide the soiled pee pad since I only replace once a day (he does his number 2 outside) and b. keep him contained until he peed. Other people have done this with a pen or crate, but the litter box is also more hidden, plus once they learn to go, they go back again and again in the box!

Now he does most of his peeing outside because we moved to a ground level apartment last winter and since he still shreds soiled pee pads, I only leave them out when I home. We have since donated the box to the locate shelter since before I was sharing an apartment and needed a place in my room to let him pee inside, but now we have our own place and his pee pad as a spot in the bathroom.

I would not recommend the dog litter, I tried it, it is a mess! Plus, it is way harder to clean up than a pee pad. Also, if they don't like the disposable pee pads or you don't throwing them away (aka environmentally unfriendly) there is a place to get washable ones in different prints. Search in the yorkie products section on the forum, there is more information there.

Hope this helps!
dryoasis88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!