View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
Jenna AK
YT Addict

Default Strange hiccups?

Jenna is my 3+ year old yorkie/chihuahua cross spayed female. I've had her for a year and a half now. We've had no major health probs so far, mostly earaches and dentals. But lately she's done lots of scratching and toe chewing that I think may be a food allergy. We're currently trying to limit her ingredients in her food to see which ones are a problem. So far we've had little success except for ruling out her eating things like beef, bison and lamb foods, which she used to have no difficulties with. Now they either give her diarrhea or gurgling tummy, plus this itching is new in the last few weeks.
She eats DVP Natural Balance, btw.

One other thing I've noticed is this odd sound she tends to make that sounds like rapid fire hiccups going in and out of her throat. There's no describing the sound other than to say she almost sounds like one of her squeak toys being quickly squeezed. It's not a loud noise and you'd almost not notice it unless you are holding her when it happens. She does get regular hiccups occasionally too, but not at the same time as these odd ones.
She has had her eating and walking schedules thrown off with inclement weather lately, and some disturbances in the home environment as a whole (my son and husband tend to get into loud arguments and the yelling scares her, she gets terrible anxiety, especially if I am not with her) plus she has a penchant for steak when we have it for dinner. I know she shouldn't share our food, but now that she can't eat her canned beef food, I'm guessing any people food is out too.

These odd repetitive hiccups do not necessarily come on after meals either, or I'd say it was a digestive problem only. I just want to be sure it's not related to her reverse sneezing (drier colder weather brings that on) nor that it could be a heart problem...because I listen to her heart and it sounds like it often skips a beat when she's resting.
When I'm holding her she'll make soft nose whistles (usually a sign she's distressed) and roll her belly up for a rub. I can't tell anymore if it's because her tummy is hurting or she's just upset and needing comfort.
She's going to need a checkup, I know that. Just wondered if anyone here has ever heard a noise like this in their yorkie?
Thanks in advance.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!