View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
LovinOurYorkies
YT 500 Club Member

I'm so glad to see that you're still here and appreciate that you returned to clarify your situation

Re seizure activity: I read that Bailey has been on five different seizure meds that haven't helped... Have you gotten a firm diagnosis of Bailey's seizures? (there are several different types as listed here: Types of Dog Seizures) Have you gotten a second or third opinion about the diagnosis? Have you seen a reduction in the number of seizures since he's been exercising on walks? In your initial post, you talked about Bailey whining at the edge of the bed only to find him staring at you... from what I read, that may be seizure activity also. (not trying to grill you... just throwing questions out there for you to think about if you haven't already)

Re seperation anxiety: Maybe she could give him special treats when she leaves the house? Maybe you could be outside w/him so he doesn't see her leave? Or be on a walk so she's already gone when you get back w/Bailey?

Re potty issues: When we had potty issues, I brought the poop out to the grass where I wanted them to go, then took the girls out on leash to that area at their next potty break. And my experience is they don't like to pee and poop in the same place (go figure) so I'd use two seperate areas of the yard. Do you take Baily out on leash, or just let him run free? Just curious bc if he's just let out the back door, he may see it as play time, not potty time. If you are already using a leash, have you tried a pee post or training aid spray? Don't forget treats and praise when he behaves as requested... once the girls learned they got treats for coming back to the door on their own, I stopped having to go out in my jammies to round them up.

Re jail break: My experience is that they can be retrained by having them on leash (always a harness, never a collar) to keep them from bolting, and also to help him understand what you expect from him (where he should be when the door is opened, etc.) without you having to raise your voice.

I can understand your frustration... we all have different levels of patience, especially at 2am or when cleaning up - or Gforbid stepping in - pee or poop AGAIN. Because Bailey's been through a lot of change over the past several years/months, I'm sure he can't understand why this is happening either... I think it comes down to Bailey understanding what these new expectations are.

There are many here who are more experienced in dealing with behavior and health issues, but I wanted to reply bc you just never know when your experiences might be useful to others. I'm glad to hear the daily walks have helped and wish you continued success... please keep up posted on your progress.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!