View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

I'm a great believer in walking a dog, if you've ever watch Cesar's program, he explains why walking is so important. Lots of people don't believe that a little dog needs walking, but a Yorkie isn't considered a lap dog like a Maltese, it's a terrier first. Yorkies are stubborn independent and smart, and while a German Shepard is wired to please it's master, you have to win the respect of your yorkie before he wants to please you (if ever ) Walking does a couple of different things, first it satisfies the need in a dog for a job, a dog is happier if it feels it’s doing its job, and surveying the neighborhood is a great job for dogs, and male dogs love to mark the neighborhood, I praise Joey when he does this, and he never marks in the house. Secondly, a purposeful walk with a dog allows the family to bond. You haven’t bonded with the dog yet, and a walk will help the dog accept the fact that you are a member of its pack. The walk need not be long, especially if the dog isn’t use to walking, and even a 5 minute walk will help.

Another tip I picked up from Caesar is making the dog sit before feeding. You command the dog to sit, and say "stay" while you place the bowl on the floor. Make the dog stay for 5 or so seconds before you give the release command, and then say okay, and move your finger to the bowl. Pick up the bowl, if your dog goes for the food before you give the release command. Usually they learn this very fast as long as you don’t go too long the first few times you are training. I never go over 30 seconds, but this will teach your dog that you are the alpha and in charge of all food. You don’t need to yell when you are the alpha, you can be a man of few words, and should display a calm confidence if you want your dog to respect you. Of course, you also need to respect the dog and part of this means reading about what a dog really needs and how to go about giving him that. I really like Cesar’s program because it teaches you about the dog’s psyche and what motivates a dog. There’s also something called, Nothing in life is for free, and it’s based on some of the same principles. You can google the words and lots of different sites talk about the program and there are even books you can buy. Nothing in Life is Free. The seizures could be due to severe anxiety, and it's important that you learn the best way to reduce his anxiety. Was he having seizure before, or is this something new?

Last edited by Nancy1999; 10-14-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!