View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
mojo
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Omg My boy just choked on a treat...

I think?? I have these hard dog biscuits which my dogs rarely eat, but I was hoping it would help with tarter on the teeth. I took one biscuit and broke it into 3rds (3 dogs), one biscuit def. too large for a small yorkie. So I gave them each a piece and was doing a few things and we went into my room. He started sorta gagging. So of course I am trying not to panic as is my nature. He starts gagging up a bunch of this really thick stringy mucous. Seriously, it was gross and awful and thick. I've never seen anything like it. I had to pull it out or he would have choked on that. Then he did it again. i grabbed a sock and was pulling this crud out of his mouth. Then I held him for a few minutes trying to feel if his breathing was normal while logging on and pulling up how to do the heimlich if I needed to.
After a few minutes he jumps up, starts barking at phantom noises like he always does. He did that several minutes, and so I believe he is ok. He is now laying in his crate, kind of pouting and acting like I did something to him.
So stupid, I should have watched him better, I wasn't thinking. I believe he was starved as a pup and he mostly swallows his food whole without chewing, trying to make sure he gets it all.
What was the mucous all about?? I guess no more treats, scared the life out of me!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!