View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
Princess10
Banning Queen

Thumbs down ?'s for parents of student athletes...looong rant

My daughter, Jasmine, plays freshman volleyball on her H.S. team. She played in middle school both years, but this is the first I've ever even been close to high school sports-we all played the clarinet.

My concerns are this: her coach seems like an evil little dictator on a very high power trip. What's setting this thread off is today she all of a sudden told the girls practice would end at 5:30, not 5:00. Sooo all of us parents were outside waiting from before 5 until 5:45. Yes, she changed the time & gave no one warning, how rude & inconsiderate or is it just me?

These girls do not play with the same sets of skills that are displayed by their opponents. The coach has put more emphasis on making a competition between the girls for positions & playing time. So they will most likely try out for JV next year & not even be able to play at that level just because they were not taught how.

She is very rude & disrespectful to the girls, not just tough like a coach may be. One little mistake by one girl & she is having them run a mile, or two miles for each mistake. She has a number of crazy, difficult drills she has them do. Jazz was having trouble getting serves over during a practice so the coach made her do 25 consecutive "burpies" (a harsh boot camp exercise). When you look on youtube at people doing those they do them in reps of 12, not 25, and they are super fit adults. Then she was ragging on my dd saying "why were your first 5 better than your last?" Why in the hell does she think!??!? Then there's her purposely kicking my daughter's water bottle under the bench at a game. Seriously? Kindergarten much?

I'm just so frustrated and so mad and feel so sorry for my dd. She wants to quit the team over her but I know she'll regret it as she wants to play all 4 years. She has softball size bruises-raised bruises on her hips from all of the drills. Her arthritis kills her. She's so tired she can barely walk once she sits down at home. I understand a sport takes commitment & is meant to tire you out but this seems excessive. Is it just me being a sensitive mom? I tried to talk to the coach & she said not until 24 hours after the game & she said she'd call then which she never did. Honestly I'm so mad at her I don't want to talk to her & embarrass my dd or cause further repercussions. There's an assnt. coach that seems more supportive, but Jazz says if she compliments the girls the other one just takes the compliment away by degrading them on something else.

What do you think? Should I speak to the athletic director & beyond or is this the norm? Sorry for a true novel this time.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!