View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #14
maci_mace
YT 500 Club Member

I believe what Teresa said goes for most states/provinces. If a person is providing care, food, shelter, water for an animal then in almost any case [especially if they have paid for it], it is theirs. If neglect can be proven then usually an animal will be surrendered or taken by authorities... whether the breeder will get the dog or a shelter just depends... I've been in a case like this with a foster dog, and if it does make it to court it can be messy and sad. Some cases may hold up in court if say, I was boarding Maci at a kennel for a month and I come back and she is missing. Mind you, I will never leave Maci at a kennel or with any "pet sitter" whom I do not know very personally or who is family.

I think a good owner who has a good reputable breeder will often times be more than willing to honor the contract. In Maci's case I believe her owners were scared the breeder would be upset/disappointed that they couldn't keep her... but so far we are all getting along and no one seems upset. Maci's registration is even getting transferred to my name as well as her chip info and vet records. So I could have just gotten lucky to have easy people to work with... I know that if anything EVER happens and I can't keep Maci I would trust her with the breeder and respect that contract despite the fact I never actually signed it. But I plan on making Maci a part of our family in any circumstance, I believe a dog is just as big of a commitment as a child.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!