Thread: Treats
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 06:05 AM   #4
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

There is risk for choking on nearly anything. There's been a dog who choked on kibble and died. Nothing is 100% safe. But you can just be as safe as you can.

Those Dingo Twists are rawhides, I believe, and I'd never feed rawhide. It's known to be cause blockages and not be digested well. Plus, rawhide usually gets real slimy and gross, and easy to swallow. When Jackson was a pup, he choked on a rawhide and he's never choked on anything before. It slid down and got stuck in his throat -- so scary!

I've never had issues with treats... were they just a soft treat? You can break off tiny pieces, things like Zuke's and Buddy Biscuits (the soft ones) shouldn't really be a choking hazard. I suppose it depends on if your dog likes to swallow things whole.

Never had an issue with bully sticks. When they would get down to about 2", I'd take them away. Greenies, you are right, had issues in the past. No idea if they fixed them or not but I wouldn't feed. I don't mind Nylabones but they don't work for us.... Jackson chews off chunks, and also they get really sharp edges from where he's chewed and cut his mouth. Plastic can't be that great for them to eat/chew on, IMO, so I don't really like them much. Again, depends on how hardcore your dog is of a chewer. The only chews I've ever personally liked are Himalayan Chews and Bully Sticks but some won't like those, either, so *shrugs* It's just a matter of finding what works for your dog....

Last edited by Britster; 10-04-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!