View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #29
capt_noonie
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member

This challenge would prove impossible for me by day one.

I own a small business. People tell us all the time they want to support the little guys. I like to support mom and pop shops myself. However, there are some industries that you just CANNOT boycott items manufactured in China. We own a bike shop. Nearly every item in my shop is made in China, I'd say about 80%. 15% from Thailand, Indonesia, or other SE asian countries (bc it's too expensive to produce those items in China!), and the remaining 5% the "higher end" stuff made in Taiwan, Japan and England. Even bikes in the $1000+ range, their metals are still produced in China. You'd be hard pressed to find a bike that was made in the US, England or Italy without spending upwards of $2000. So you're saying you guys would boycott me as well?

Then there are the items that are "Made in the US with imported materials". Where are the imported materials made? I see a LOT of designer denim that says just that. Sure they are sewn in the US but who made the fabric? Another way to look at it. All the handmade things sold on Etsy, where are the materials they use coming from?

This experiment is not as straight forward as just looking at the label to see where it was made. I won't/can't be in this experiment, but am interested to see what others find.

On another note, anyone looking for an iphone case that is made in the US (Los Angeles to be exact) and is made of recycled materials, check out TrtlBot
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!