View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #60
fasteddie
YT 6000 Club Member

Winky was diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) after his ultrasound and appointment with the cardiologist. He is already at the stage of his heart failing. The prognosis is 12 to 18 months of life.

They said it was not hereditary, that it develops over time. They didn't say anything about his enlarged liver, the blood and stool tests showed no other issues. They were amazed that this happened to Winky because he is a smaller dog, as they said they don't see it very frequently in smaller breeds.

He was prescribed taurine 250mg twice daily and furosemide 6.25mg daily (or more if necessary). He's a bit tired today, but he still ate and pooped fine.

Yoda and Winky has been on Royal Canin Veterinary Gastro Intestinal Low Fat (Crude Protein Min 6%) food (mixed with rice) for several years. I don't think that's a low protein food, which I read could cause the DCM (http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/yor...much-much.html)... Perhaps we can add boiled chicken or some kind of meat to his diet?

I think we're going to be giving Yoda some taurine in his diet as well and we will be giving them both CoQ10, which we've read and consulted with a few heart experts has no side effects and can help dogs and people with heart and liver conditions.

Any suggestions or ideas or comments are appreciated. We thank each and everyone who has thought about him and given advice from the bottom of our hearts!

Please continue to think positive thoughts for our little fighter. We're determined to give him the absolute best life he can have!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!