View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
mojo
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracielove View Post
It would be better if the dog cannot see your dogs. If he does not know they are there he is not going to bother them. Does the dog live outside? Do you leave your dogs out for very long at a time?

I don't think I would go pepper spraying the neighbors dog unless he did break the fence and came after your dogs. Maybe if you had a garden hose handy with one of those high powered spray things on it you could spray the dog when it lunges on the fence. Getting sprayed in the face a few times may make him think twice.

Maybe you could try talking to the neighbor again and introduce one of your dogs to the neighbor's dog......inside the house while under control. If he is good with other dogs he might just need to establish a relationship with you dogs. Right now he views them as intruders.
My dogs do not go outside alone, I take them out. If it's my son, he will stand at the door if one or two need to go out, but he knows he now needs to go out with them. The neighbors dogs, however, I believe they live outside as best I can tell. I think that dog is lonely (separate issue from throwing itself at the fence). It cries a lot. I have never seen them walk one of their dogs. They also have a young daughter, like infant/toddler; not sure. So I don't really understand why they got another dog unless it was because the first dog was lonely. Although he did say he had taken them to the dog park. I think it is like a bloodhound/bassett hound - so just not seeing I don't believe will solve the problem.
And just a side note * I had NO intention of just pepper spraying the dog for no reason - that is for safety if it breaks through the fence. I don't need a problem where they then retaliate and try to hurt my dogs. Plus, I love animals and don't want to just hurt this dog. I'm not that kind of person.
I really like the idea of the hose and spraying if it jumps on the fence - might piss the neighbor off, but no harm to the animal. And it's not like my dogs have no responsibility here either. My boy loves running over there, barking, asserting himself - only difference is he is not going to break through a fence and grab that dog by the neck and kill it.

Going to look into how hard it would be to chain link around the patio. It's a pretty small area and if it's not too hard, maybe I can bribe my son into doing it. But in the meantime, gettin out the hose.
Thanks everybody, nobody understands a crazy, protective yorkie mom like a crazy protective yorkie mom
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!