View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 06:04 AM   #7
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

This is something I've thought a lot about for my own pups. I've come to the conclusion that for my family, the benefits of spaying (medically) outweigh the risks. ..that is if it's done before the second heat. After that, I think it's up to each owner if they want to chance pyometra. It is very common and you'l need to spay if it happens anyway.

For the boys, I'm still unsure. There are strong medical arguments either way. At this time, because some medical issues are prevented and because marking can potentially be eliminated, I would decide to neuter.

I don't base my decisions on what is best for the dog population in the US anymore than I base my own medical decisions on what is best for the majority. However, I also never let my dogs out alone. Now there could always be an accident, but in general they are very protected. I base my decisions on what is best for the dogs and our family as a whole with a ton of input from their vet.

I think s/n is happening too early now. Pediatric s/n is not my thing. I would not buy from a breeder who did this if they insisted on it before pup came to me. I also think there is some truth to the ortho issues from early sn/n and spay incontinence (happens more if they are spayed too young). The larger the breed, the more inclined I am to hold off awhile.

But all that said, I don't think it's an economic decision by most vets.Some even do it close to their cost because they believe it's the right thing to do. They would get just as much money from taking care of puppies or doing emergency spays over pyometra and mammary cancer.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!