View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
jencar98
Donating YT 500 Club Member

I've been aware of some of the problems of altering and early s/n for some time now. Working with rescue though, I tend to see only the irresponsible pet owners and greeders and still think the advantages of s/n outweigh the disadvantages.

I'm sure the average member on yt could most likely raise their pets intact and manage to still be responsible about avoiding any accidents. However, we are but a small percentage of the pet owners across the world. Still yet we do see quite a few "oops" litters posted about here.

As far as vets having a vested economic interest in s/n, I think the same argument could be made for over-breeding and vets. After all, vet care to bring a litter to market is not cheap, and then there is the continued benefit of those puppies needing future vet care with annual check-ups, dentals, senior care, etc. Seems to me, if a vet was worried only about his vested interest, it would be much more lucrative, to promote breeding, rather than s/n.

Until all pet owners become truly responsible and our shelters/rescues are near empty, I'll have to continue to favor spay and neuter, even if it is early s/n in some cases.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!