View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #6
Teresamag
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111lily222 View Post
I am curious...... What "vet" would neuter a puppy before six months old? I don't know of any... unreal!
Actually my vet and several other very good vets I know will neuter before six months old - including a vet I know who is used by several show breeders. There is lots of information about pediatric neutering being ok to do. I would not spay a girl that young because they are pretty little to remove the uterus (making the surgery a little more complicated) but castrating a male with external testicles is a very simple & quick procedure. My vet will neuter as long as the puppy is over 10 weeks and over 2 lbs. The puppies are asleep for less than 15 minutes, wake up quickly & act like nothing ever happened within 2 hours. They have a tiny incision with 1 tiny little stitch that is removed in 6 days and heals perfectly. Limited AKC registration will only work if the adoptive parents care about AKC registration - the dogs can still be bred if they are not neutered. Some reputable breeders will neuter male puppies before they ever go to their new homes to prevent having to worry their puppies might be bred when they should not be. It doesn't make the breeder or vet a bad person - IMO it makes them a responsible breeder & vet.

Teresa
Teresamag is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!