View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

She's obviously scared about something. We don't always know what sets off things in their little doggy minds, but I highly doubt she is trying to be the pack leader. Something in her mind is suddenly telling her that harness = bad and scary.

Jackson went through a phase like this once, but I had pinched him once while snapping the harness shut so I think that's what triggered it. All the sudden he started running away every time I got out the harness/leash, even if he knew had to go potty. It took me a few weeks of de-sensitizing him to the harness again. I would put it on the ground and throw treats on top of it. I would slowly start putting it over his head but not fully putting it on yet. Now, in the meantime, I had to "force" him to wear it simply because he HAD to to be let outside, but after a few weeks he stopped running from it completely after some de-sensitizing.

I think anything that will make the harness a negative experience will just reinforce the behavior and make it worse, such as dominating her, or being aggressive back. Doesn't usually help in situations like this.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!