View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
Teresa Ford
Therapy Yorkies Work
Donating Member

Hello Daschmo. First let me clarify I never think it is ok to hit a dog. Tapping with two fingers to the side of the face (never on top the nose or under the chin) is sometimes used on older puppies along with a firm NO. I really prefer the honey way.# 1. Put honey or a light coating of peanutbutter, or Kong spray cheese etc. on your finger,when he licks say KISS and praise. If teeth touch you say a firm NO. and take the tasty finger away. #2 Rarely is raising your voice the right thing to do, but when puppies nip, you have to be really dramatic. Try to do a high pitched OWEEEEEEEE... and immediately put them on the floor and ignore them for at least 2 minuets. By ignore I mean no touch, no eye contact no talking. Lesson # 3 Teach your puppy to chew on toys. If your puppy bites you while playing say a firm NO, and push into the bite, do not jerk your hand away. Jerking away will cause him to clamp harder and he will think it is a game of tug. Praise when he bites toys with GOOD TOY. #4 I doubt you will need this, because your puppy is so young. It is ok to use a spray bottle of water, a quick squirt to surprize him if he is chasing and nipping at feet. Hope this helps.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!