Thread: Parvo
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
McheleM
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandykeTA View Post
We just bought a male. Hes 3 monthes old and we found out today he has parvo. We've only had him since tuesday. Hes very playful and energetic, he eats fine, drinks plenty, but he has diarrehea. We called the vet and they said to bring him in and have him checked that parvo was bad around here. So we did and he tested positive. The only other symptom you could say he had was he was somewhat depressed the day we brought him home but he perked right up once we started playing with him. He seems like a normal dog other than the diarrehea. No blood, no nothing. Just the diarreaha. All the vet says is that they have a good feeling about him but from you guys with experience do you think he'll be ok?
I would be calling the breeder. Parvo takes 7-10 days to show up, and if you've only had him 4 days, that means he had it when you got him.

He needs fluids, fluids, fluids. And most likely from an IV. Or have your vet show you how to so sub-q injections, but round the clock IV is best in my opinion,

Our little boy spent 11 days in the vet with , and never showed any symptoms. We had him at the vet for shots and he had a reaction and we found out then that he had it.. It's not something to treat lightly, and small dogs do not normally survive it. Especially if he is already showing symptoms. He will need antibiotics as well to fight off the infections once the virus eats through his intestinal wall and spills his waste into his body and he becomes septic. Our little guy even ended up with a blood transfusion to help get his white blood cell count up to help him fight the infection himself.

Parvo treatment is costly, but I will say that the 6500.00 we spent to save Noah's life was worth every penny and I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Last edited by McheleM; 09-18-2011 at 07:47 PM.
McheleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!