View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
Connie
Loved by Maddie & Libby
Donating Member

Default The aftermath of the flood in Minot

I know many of you think this is old news, but here in Minot, it is going to take years to rebuild and it will never be the same. I grew up in the valley of Minot and every house I have lived in here flooded, except for the one I'm living in now. National news covered our flood, but left as the water started to recede, never to return to show the massive destruction. Fema trailers are popping up all over town and thousands homeless, waiting for their Fema trailer, which hopefully will come before winter sets in. Many people are leaving Minot after losing everything. Most people had no flood insurance, as they were told they didn't need it because of our flood protection in place. Churches, businesses, schools, parks...everything destroyed. Kids are going to school in modular classrooms, some at a church, and our middle school that was completely destroyed...those kids are going to school at the auditorium. Whenever I go anywhere, I end up driving through part of the devastation and I can't stop the tears. With each home destroyed there is a family...a story...memories of a once secure life to losing everything they've worked for. The people that are rebuilding have to gut their homes down to the frame and furnace, electric, plumbing...everything has to be replaced. No, there were no deaths from the flood itself, but many elderly that had to be evacuated from the nursing home died because they couldn't handle the move. There have been suicides and fatal accidents that were flood related. Many are sick from the mold and the air quality is bad. This city is dirty, stinky and the roads are a mess. I keep thinking I will eventually get used to this horror, but that just doesn't happen. Here are a few videos of the aftermath of the flood of 2011.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!