View Single Post
Old 01-08-2006, 04:53 PM   #1
Connie
Loved by Maddie & Libby
Donating Member

Default I nearly had a heart attack!

I came home this evening and before coming inside, let Maddie out to go potty. When it is dark, I tell her stay and she doesn't go to the back part of the yard where I'm always afraid there could be a raccoon or something. She went potty and then like a bolt of lightening, took off toward the back part of the yard barking her fool head off. I followed and about the time I got back there, over the fence came what I first thought was a deer...we've had them in our yard before. It wasn't a deer, but a yellow lab and it landed and went right for Maddie. I had my purse and Maddie's carrier in my hands and kept slinging them at the dog to try to keep it away from Maddie...screaming like a crazy fool...and trying to pick up Maddie, but she wouldn't stay still long enough. She was into her ferocious growling as if she was trying to fight this dog and he was doing his darndest to get to her. Scared me half to death! Finally Maddie hightailed it for the garage with the dog right behind her and me after the two of them. As Maddie got into the garage, I threw my purse which landed near the dog and startled him enough to stop and allow me to get to the door and close it with Maddie inside. Whew! I think this dog probably just wanted to play, but since Maddie was attacked by a large dog once, I will not trust a big dog anywhere near her!

So...once Maddie was safe inside I got ahold of the dog's collar and then yelled..."Anyone looking for a dog?" No answer so I petted the dog a bit and then yelled again. This time I heard a guy say, "Yeah...where are you?" I told him and he came and had to climb the fence and asked how the dog had gotten over it. I told him he jumped it and he couldn't believe his dog could jump that high. I told him it had scared me because I had my yorkie out going potty when the dog jumped the fence, and he said his dog must have heard my dog and that's why he jumped the fence. He also said his dog wouldn't have hurt my yorkie, but I've heard that before.

I'm still shaking from this incident. Good grief...I just wish Maddie had enough sense to just come to me and let me protect her, rather than think she has to fight this dog off on her own! She seems to think she's a big guard dog and going to protect our yard from any prowlers! What a little stinker!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!